Elden Ring has a bunch of spirit ashes, ethereal summons that you can summon to assist you in Elden Ring Runes fighting. Certain, such as Banished Knight Oleg are highly effective damage-dealers, capable of destroying the toughest of bosses. Others, hm you're not that great--looking at you, spirit jellyfish's as ashes. While each has their unique strengths and weaknesses and I've found plenty to try however, I'd say none are nowhere near as reliable or as impressive as the lone wolf's dust. The ghostly wolf pack is my current favorite summon and is a great example of a Tarnished's greatest friend existing even inside the Lands Between.

The summoning of the lone wolf is probably the earliest you'll discover while playing FromSoft's latest game. It's located at the Church of Elleh, a derelict structure and one of the first places that you'll encounter in the Limgrave region. The blue-skinned Renna will teach you how to summon spirits once you've gotten the ethereal steed Torrent. Speak to her and she'll hand you both an Spirit Calling Bell, a essential item to call ghostly spirits, and the single wolf's cremated remains. In all seriousness, you shouldn't overlook it unless you're among many people who speedrun the game. But if you do happen to ignore it, you can buy the spirit ashes from the Twin Maiden Husks at the Roundtable Hold.

This spirit ashes isn't particularly powerful, though. The wolf trio can do moderate damage even after gaining levels and isn't able to be an armory in any way because of their relatively low health pool. But what they're lacking in terms of damage output overall however, they make up in acting as a solid distractor during battles. Call them up and watch as the wolf-like spectral creatures move, gnash, or circle the prey, cutting them up limb from limb as you just hang as a background. It's thrilling and gives you room to breathe and contemplate what your future plans are.

My favorite thing about the lone wolf spirit ashes is their loyalty. Sure, all the summons remain with you after you've been requested. There's something incredibly charming watching these big-ass, creatures adrift in front of you, searching for the next victim to take their claws at. They're also known to strike as a team, coordinating strikes to keep the enemy at bay. They're helpful almost all the time and they're always with you even as they eventually get removed one by one.

I've become so enamored that I've unofficially named my dogs after the good ones from Tim Burton films: Persephone and Sparky from Frankenweenie as well as Zero in The Nightmare Before Christmas. It's only a shame they can't be petted as well as teach them tricks. They are, after all, ghosts. I guess interacting with them would be impossible But maybe there's an in-game item to buy Elden Ring Runes do such a thing.